How to trim video using the built-in tools in Windows 10
One of the most common tasks how to crop a video Windows 10, for this, you can use free video editors (which are redundant for this purpose), special programs, and Internet services (see How to trim video online and in free programs ), but you can also use the built-in Windows tools 10.
This guide details how to crop a video Windows 10 using the built-in Movies & TV and Photos apps (although this may seem counterintuitive) in Windows 10. Also at the end of the guide is a video tutorial where the entire cropping process is shown visually and with comments.
Trimming videos with built-in apps in Windows 10
You can access video cropping from both the Movies & TV app and the Photos app, both of which are preinstalled on the system by default.
By default, videos in Windows 10 open using the built-in Movies & TV app, but many users change the default player. With this in mind, the steps to trim videos from the Movies & TV app are as follows on how to crop a video Windows 10.
- Right-click, select “Open With” and click “Movies & TV”.
- At the bottom of the video, click on the edit icon (pencil, may not be visible if the window is “too” narrow) and select “Crop”.
- The “Photos” application will open (yes, the functions that allow you to crop the video are located in it). Just move the start and end pointers of the video to trim it.
- Click the “Save a copy” or “Save a copy” button at the top right (the original video is not modified) and specify where to save the already trimmed video.
Please note that in cases on how to crop a video Windows 10, where the video is long enough and of high quality, the process may take a long time, especially on a computer that is not very productive.
Cropping video is also possible by bypassing Movies and TV applications:
- You can open the video right away with the Photos app.
- Right-click on the opened video and select “Edit and create” – “Truncate” in the context menu.
- Further actions will be the same as in the previous method.
By the way, in the menu in step 2, pay attention to other items that might be unknown to you, but may be of interest: slowing down a certain segment of the video, creating a video with music from several videos and photos (using filters, adding text, etc. ) – if you haven’t used these features of the Photos app yet, you might want to give it a try. Read more: Windows 10 built-in video editor.
In conclusion – a video guide, where the entire process described above is shown clearly.
I hope the information on how to crop a video Windows 10 was helpful. Perhaps also useful: