How to open an M4R file?
There may be several reasons why the system does not support this file. In the case of the M4R extension, none of the installed programs likely support this file type. Therefore, the user must take the following steps
Step 1: Install a program that supports M4R files
If an application that supports M4R files is installed on the user’s system but is not used to open such files by default, right-click the file’s icon and select open from the menu. Then select the appropriate application and check the box “Always use the selected application to open files of this type”. The system will store this information in its registry and use the selected program to open files with the M4R extension by default.
Hint for Mac OS users
For Mac OS users, the procedure is similar – How to open M4R file by right-clicking on the M4R file, selecting the “Information” option, and selecting the “Open with program” option. Select an application from the submenu and click the Edit All button.
Step 2: Find and download the right software
The inability how to open M4R file may also be due to the lack of any application that supports this file being installed on the system. In this case, the user must download and install one of the following applications. Once installed, the system will automatically associate newly installed applications with M4R files. If this step fails, see Step 1.
Step 3: Check the M4R file for errors
Sometimes, although relatively rare, steps 1 and 2 may not produce the expected results. There may be several reasons for this situation:
- M4R file has been downloaded from the internet, but for some reason it is incomplete. In this case, the file must be re-downloaded and opened again.
- The structure of this M4R file may be corrupted and therefore the program cannot open the file.
- The media where the file was saved is corrupted
- It is important to ensure that the icon representing the given file is not a shortcut to an associated M4R file that is no longer in the location the shortcut points to.
- If the user account has limited access rights, we recommend that you contact your system administrator or IT professional.
Similar file extensions
- M4C – IBM Voice Type Language New user
- M4E – MPEG-4 Video Format
- M4T – Sage MAS 90 Table
- M4A – MPEG-4 Audio Format
- M4S – Myst IV: Revelation Save Game
- M4D – Sage MAS 90 Data
- M4B – MPEG-4 Audio Book Format
- M4L – Sage MAS 90 Data