How to completely remove Google Chrome from your computer
This article will deal with how to remove chromium from Windows 8 and other versions. The browser from Google is certainly one of the best programs of this kind that exist today. How to uninstall Google Chrome, if necessary (for example, if you need to reinstall the program), we will describe in this material.
Through the Toolbox
If a situation arises, for example, Chrome does not work and you decide to reinstall it, then the question arises – how to remove Chromium from Windows 8t?
You can completely remove Google Chrome from your computer using the “Toolbar”. Each operating system has its instructions. One rule remains common – you need to close all windows in Google Chrome to remove it.
Sometimes simply shutting down is not enough regarding how to remove chromium from Windows 8 – press Ctrl+Alt+Delete at the same time and end the “chrome.exe” process using the “Task Manager”.
The instructions for the “tens” have their characteristics – in this OS, the required file is not in programs and components. Therefore, we act as follows:
- Open in sequence “Start” – “Settings” – “Applications”
- Open the “Apps and Features” section and find the browser
- Click “Delete”, and then once again confirm the action
- Put a tick in front of “Clear work data” – so we will get rid of all saved profile data, bookmarks, and history
If the reverse situation is relevant for you and you need to install Google Chrome on Windows 10, read the article on how to do it.
Windows Vista, 7, 8
Here’s how to remove chromium from Windows 8 on your computer on these operating systems:
- Open the “Control Panel” through the “Start” menu (for the “eight” – move the cursor to the upper right corner and select “Settings” – “Control Panel”)
- Select “Programs and Features”
- We find the browser and double-click on the icon, select “Delete”
- To erase additional information, put a checkmark in front of the item “Delete work data”
To properly uninstall Google Chrome on this OS, do the following:
- Open in sequence “Start” – “Control Panel” – “Add or Remove Programs”
- Find the browser icon and complete the uninstallation in the same way as described in the previous instructions for Windows
Here is how to completely uninstall Google Chrome on Mac:
- Open Finder
- Open the folder where the browser was installed. If it’s not there, use the search by name.
- Drag the icon to the “Trash”
- To get rid of personal data, click at the top of the screen “Go” – “Go to folder”
- Type ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome
- Click “Go”
- Mark all the folders that appear and send them to the trash
Instructions for Linux:
- Using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + T, open the “Control Window” (for the KDE version, the path is “Application Menu” – “System” – “Console”).
- Enter the command to remove
- Debian: sudo dpkg -r google-chrome-stable
- Other systems: sudo rpm -e google-chrome-stable
- You may need to enter a device password
We clean the “tails”
To completely remove the remnants of the Google Chrome browser from your computer and how to remove chromium from Windows 8, do the following:
- We go along the path “Computer” – “Users” – “User” – “AppData”
- If you did not find the “AppData” folder, you need to set the “Show hidden files, folders and drives” option on the device (section “Advanced options”)
- In “AppData” we find the folder “Local”
- And here we find and delete the folder with the name of the browser
We use third-party programs
For uninstallation, it is convenient to use some utilities designed both for our purpose and, in general, for cleaning the device registry. Here is an example of such utilities:
- Uninstall Tool
- Revo Uninstaller
- Soft Organizer
The principle of operation of tool-uninstallers is quite similar, so we will write in our instructions the general aspects that are universal for each such program:
- Install the uninstaller and open it with “Administrator” rights
- When you open the utility, you will see a list of all programs installed on your device
- Right-click on the shortcut of the desired program and select “Uninstall”
- Usually, if you work with the utility, the system itself will scan the device for tails. No action is required on your part.
- After the uninstall process is complete, reboot your device.