Alarm Clock on PC and Laptop Windows 10
This article on how to set alarm in laptop will guide you. If for certain tasks you need to set an alarm on a computer or laptop with Windows 10, you can do this both using the built-in system tools and using third-party alarm programs. At the same time, automatic awakening from sleep or hibernation mode is also possible.
This manual details the built-in Windows 10 tools that will allow you to turn on the alarm for a certain time and wake up your computer or laptop from sleep (hibernation), as well as third-party utilities designed for these tasks. May also be useful: Computer or laptop shutdown timer.
How to set a alarm in Laptop using system tools
How to set alarm in laptop using the built-in tools of Windows 10, you can use the standard Alarms and Clock application, or use the task scheduler by manually setting the task for a specific time, turning on the computer, and playing the melody you need.
Alarms and clocks
The Alarms & Clock app in Windows 10 is a standard tool for managing clocks, alarms, and timers. You can find it in the Start menu, and if it is not there (for example, you deleted it earlier), the application is available in the Windows Store.
Working with the application is very simple:
- Launch the application. On most PCs and laptops, you will see the message “Notifications appear only when the PC is awake”. This will mean that the hardware and drivers of your computer or laptop do not allow you to wake it up from sleep or hibernation using this application (but the task scheduler method will most likely work). However, by disabling sleep mode and enabling only the screen off, you can use the application to create alarms.
- The application already has one configured alarm – you can click on it to edit, or click on the “Plus” button at the bottom to create a new alarm.
- Set the alarm time, the desired name, how often it should go off (every day or on selected days), the sound of the alarm, and how long it will be delayed when you press the “Snooze” button during the alarm. Click on the save settings button below.
- When the alarm sounds at the set time, you can close the alarm in the notification or snooze it for the set time.
If in your case the alarm clock says that it will only work when you are awake, you will need to turn off sleep mode (do not do this on battery-powered laptops), to do this, go to Start – Settings – Power and sleep – in the item “Sleep » Set to Never. Additionally, check the sleep settings in Control Panel – Power Options – Power Scheme Settings – Change advanced power settings – Sleep (and Hibernation), it should be set to “Never”.
Alarm Clock with Task Scheduler
You can set the alarm to a specific one using the built-in Windows 10 task scheduler. If you have installed original power management drivers from the manufacturer of the motherboard or laptop, it will likely be able to wake your computer from sleep or hibernation.
Also, how to set alarm in laptop, you will need some kind of media player to start playing sound, in the example below I use VLC since it supports passing various parameters on the command line, and this feature will come in handy for us:
- Press the Win + R keys on the keyboard and type taskschd. msc and press Enter, the task scheduler will open.
- In the panel on the right, click “Create a task”.
- In the window that opens, on the “General” tab, specify the name of the task (at your discretion), and then in the “When performing a task, use the following user account” field, click “Change” and enter SYSTEM (in capital letters), click “OK”, also check “Run with highest privileges” option. We do this so that the alarm clock works even on a locked computer without logging in.
- On the “Triggers” tab, click “Create” and configure the settings for triggering the task. For example, daily, according to the schedule, at the specified time.
- On the “Actions” tab, click “Create” and specify what exactly should be launched. In my example, the screenshot starts the VLC player, then it plays (as indicated in the “Add arguments” field) an mp3 file with a melody and automatically closes using the VLC://quit command passed and specified with a space after the path to the file (if you do not close VLC, then it will remain “hanging” in the running system processes after the alarm goes off, while the player window will not be displayed).
- On the “Conditions” tab, check the box “Wake the computer to complete the task.” The mark “Run only when powered from the mains” is at your discretion.
- Apply the settings you have made and the job will be saved. At any time in the task scheduler, you can open the task parameters and edit the time of its execution on the “Triggers” tab.
- Go to the Control Panel (set the “View” field at the top right to “Icons”) – Power Options – Configure the power plan (for the active scheme) – Change advanced power settings. Open the “Sleep” section and in the “Allow wake timers” subsection, make sure they are enabled.
Done on how to set alarm in laptop: the alarm should now go off even if the computer is put into sleep or hibernation mode, and even without logging in. However, this is not always the case: the functionality depends on the motherboard power management hardware and drivers – ideally, manually install the original chipset drivers, Intel ME, and branded tools like ATK Package for ASUS laptops (other laptops may have other software sets for power management to function ACPI).
Please note that the “Hibernation” item in Windows 10 in the shutdown menu by default is not displayed, to enable it: Control Panel – Power Options – What the power buttons do – Change settings that are currently unavailable – check the box “Hibernation”.
Programs to set an alarm on Windows 10
There are many free programs available on the web that allow you how to set alarm in laptop in Windows with the ability to wake your computer from sleep. From simple utilities, I can recommend Free Alarm Clock.
How to set alarm in laptop itself will not cause problems: all the options are very clear, but to be able to wake the computer from sleep and hibernation, consider the following:
- Just like in the previous case, this functionality depends on the hardware and drivers.
- Since the program is launched on behalf of a regular user (and not from “SYSTEM”, like a task in the task scheduler), it will not work on the lock screen (although it will wake up the computer if the account has not been logged out). To prevent you from getting to the lock screen after sleep or hibernation and the alarm goes off, in Windows 10 go to Settings (Win + I) – Accounts – Sign-in options, and in the “Login required” item, set to “Never”.
Other programs on how to set alarm in laptop for Windows include:
- WakeOnStandBy – very functional, in English, on my system, the wake-up did not work even after manipulating the OS parameters with the software’s help, but the program is supported.
- Alarm Clock HD – an alarm clock from the Windows app store Exit from sleep mode works, in English, not the most convenient interface in my opinion, but great reviews.
There are other similar utilities, but for most applications, I’m sure the presented features should be enough. If you use something else that seems more convenient to you, I will be grateful for a comment on the article on how to set alarm in laptop.